Susan Best, Municipal Clerk
Duties of Municipal Clerk Office (N.J.S.A. 40A:9-135):
XIV. CORE DUTIES [N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133]
A. SECRETARY OF THE MUNICIPAL CORPORATION
1. Custodian of the municipal seal.
2. Maintain custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation.
3. Attest to the signatures of municipal officers and officials.
4. Maintain receipt of service of legal documents.
B. SECRETARY TO THE GOVERNING BODY
1. Prepare agenda for annual Reorganization Meeting of the Governing Body.
2. Maintain and keep new members of Governing Body aware of Rules of Order for conducting meetings.
3. Prepare meeting agenda at the discretion of the Governing Body; be present at all meetings of the Governing Body.
4. Keep an official record of the proceedings of every meeting; retain the original copies of all minutes, ordinances and resolutions.
5. Process, record, file and, when necessary, advertise ordinances, resolutions and the municipal budget.
6. Administer and record oaths of office: 10/31/04
a. Before assuming office, every person elected or appointed shall take and subscribe to an oath of office.
b. The oaths shall be filed with the Municipal Clerk and preserved as a public record for a period of five (5) years after termination of office.
7. Maintain custody of all official records not specifically handled by other departments. Handles all public Records (O.P.R.A.)
8. Act as liaison to the public and correspondent on behalf of the Governing Body.
C. CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER OF ALL ELECTIONS held in the municipality
D. CHIEF REGISTRAR OF VOTERS in the municipality. Handles marriage license, birth certificates and death certificates.