Senior Citizen Tax Preparation
Community Tax Preparation
Rockaway Township offers FREE tax preparation for all residents through VITA/TCE who qualify for this free service based on their level of income. The income limits set for Morris County are $90,000 or less for those Married and filing a Joint Return or $60,000 or less if you are filing as a Single taxpayer. Taxes will be prepared every Wednesday at the Rockaway Township Senior Center (lower level entrance) starting February 7th and continuing through April 10th, 2024. YOU MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO ENTER THE BUILDING!
IRS-certified volunteers will prepare both the Federal and NJ State Income Tax returns and will also aid with completing the Property Tax Rebate (PTR) form. Most completed returns will be filed electronically to the IRS and State of New Jersey on the same day the tax returns are prepared.
New Phone Number for Making Appointments
The Rockaway Senior Center VITA site has a new sponsoring partner and has a new telephone number which will be used to schedule an income tax preparation appointment.
For the new tax season beginning January 2024 (1040 tax prep for tax year 2023):
973-993-1160 Ext 521
Please leave a message and United Way of Northern New Jersey Staff will return your call to schedule an appointment. Staff will begin returning calls January 8, 2024.
NOTE-YOU MUST LEAVE A MESSAGE, THE CALLS ARE NOT ANSWERED LIVE.
We cannot prepare your taxes if you have:
· Active military income
· Rental income (if you rent to someone else)
· Business income
· Farm income
· Form K1 with a loss
· Self-employed with a loss
On the day of your appointment, it is important that you bring all your personal income tax related documents. Tax returns cannot be completed unless you have all your documentation. A list of what you should bring is listed below. NOTE: If filing a joint tax return, both parties whose names appear on the return must be present to sign the completed tax return
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
- Wage and pension statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-NEC) from all employers
- Gambling/Lottery Winnings (Form W-2G)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Advanced child tax credit letter, if received (Form 6419)
- Social security statement SSA-1099
- Brokerage statements
- Proof of itemized deductions including medical receipts and charitable contribution receipts. These expenses should already be totaled and summarized.
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- If self-employed proof of income and expenses