Senior Citizen Tax Preparation


The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is offering free tax help to people who qualify for this free service based on their level of income.  The income limits set for the Morris County area are $90,000 or less for those who are Married and filing a Joint Return or $60,000 or less if you are filing as a Single taxpayer.  Taxes will be prepared every Wednesday at the Rockaway Township Senior Center starting on February 15th and continuing through April 12th, 2023.


IRS-certified volunteers will prepare both the Federal and NJ State Income Tax returns and will also aid with completing the Property Tax Rebate (PTR) form.  Most completed returns will be filed electronically to the IRS and State of New Jersey on the same day the tax returns are prepared.

Due to the ongoing COVID concerns, face masks as well as proof of vaccinations will be required to have your taxes prepared.   


If you qualify for this free service, please contact NORWESCAP at (973) 784-4900, Extension 2902 for an appointment.  We cannot prepare your taxes if you have:

·         Active military income 

·         Rental income (if you rent to someone else)

·         Business income

·         Farm income 

·         Form K1 with a loss 

·         Self-employed with a loss 

On the day of your appointment, it is important that you bring all your personal income tax related documents.  Tax returns cannot be completed unless you have all your documentation.  A list of what you should bring is listed below.  NOTE:  If filing a joint tax return, both parties whose names appear on the return must be present to sign the completed tax return


  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
  • Wage and pension statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-NEC) from all employers
  • Gambling/Lottery Winnings (Form W-2G) 
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Advanced child tax credit letter, if received (Form 6419)
  • Social security statement SSA-1099
  • Brokerage statements 
  • Proof of itemized deductions including medical receipts and charitable contribution receipts.  These expenses should already be totaled and summarized.
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  • If self-employed proof of income and expenses