How do I apply for a Marriage License?
- New Jersey residents may apply in the town where either applicant resides. Out of state residents must apply in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will take place. Please not that the mailing address and the venue where the ceremony take place may not be the same. Please note that Rockaway Township is served by mailing addresses in Dover, Hibernia, and Rockaway Borough.
- Applications for marriage licenses may be applied for in as much as 6-months in advance, but a minimum of 72-hours from the date of the ceremony. An appoint to apply for a marriage license-application is required in Rockaway Township. The appointment must be made in advance and is subject to the availability of the Registrar and Deputy Registrar; it is generally recommended to schedule the appointment at least 72-hours in advance.
- Rockaway Township's hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday thru Friday.
- Apply at the Clerk's Department. An application is available here (Spanish language application). On the date of the application, the applicants are requested to bring a state issued identification (Driver's License, Passport, etc.), birth certificates of both applicants, and proof of residency (Driver's License, State ID, Utility Bill, etc.).
- Instructions for the marriage process and for the officiant.
- The Applicant's and one Witness must appear together when applying for the license. If both Applicant' cannot appear at the same time, each may come separately but with the SAME Witness.
- You need to know the Date of Marriage and the Officiant's name and address when you first apply.
- Please bring a certified copy of your Birth Certificate or Passport. The Applicant's must have ID with their current legal address (ex. of id are: driver's license, lease agreement or tax return).
- Please provide a copy of divorce papers or death certificate if this is not a first marriage.
- Both applicants need to know their parents birthplaces.
- Marriage License Fee is $28.00 cash or check only. This fee is temporarily waived.
- Certified copy of your marriage license can be purchased at the Town where the marriage took place. To apply for a certified copy fill out an Application for a Certified Copy.
- Rockaway Township certified copy fee is $10.00 per copy.
Any questions can be directed to the Township Clerk's Office at 973-983-2834 or email firstname.lastname@example.org